Restoration update September 2009

It’s been a while since I posted on this site, but that does not mean I have not been working away. As I mentioned in the last post, I was getting Fire 32 ready to go to the sandblaster. I had quite a few welding and fabrication projects to complete before I took it to the blaster, the only problem being I had very little welding experience to  fall back on. There were several welders who said they were willing to help, but they never came through, so I jumped in with both feet and simply went for it. Here are a few of the projects I had to get through in order to get the truck ready for the sandblaster:

Hole in right side tool compartment.
Before

Hole in right side tool compartment

After

Tool compartment welded

Rack in preconnect compartment
Before
IMG_2945

After
IMG_4120

Left front compartment
BeforeSide discharges

AfterIMG_4401

There were several other projects that required patch panels, one that required a custom fabricated piece, and multiple holes that needed to be filled. I found that if the piece was flat in front of me, I could lay down a pretty good weld, but if the piece is at an angle, then I had some issues with getting a good weld.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: